Kaleidoscope is the most powerful file comparison app. Spot the differences in text and image files, or even folders full of files. Review changes in seconds, with the world’s most advanced and beautiful file comparison app.
Kaleidoscope 3 features the first major redesign in over eight years, with support for Apple Silicon-based Macs, a redesigned interface that looks great in the latest versions of macOS, and new dark mode support, Kaleidoscope 3 marks the comeback of a longtime developer favorite for spotting changes in text, images, and folders. There is a new Reader view, and changesets have received major improvements.
WHAT’S NEW IN KALEIDOSCOPE 3?
- Redesigned interface, including new dark mode and new app icon; Kaleidoscope’s design now fits macOS Big Sur and macOS Monterey
- Runs natively on all Macs, including those based on Apple silicon (Apple M1 chip).
- Reader view makes it easier to focus on the content
- Greater control over how text layout, with better font options and display choices
- Ability to ignore particular folders and files during folder compare, using powerful patterns.
- Persistent top toolbar with convenient Add and Paste buttons
- Redesigned Unified text comparison and File Shelf views to make it easier to review differences and keep track of files being compared
- Powerful filters for comparing items in changeset windows
- Two-Way Text Comparison & Merging
- Supports any text file, Word documents, PDF, RTF
- Super-fast diffing of lines and character-level changes
- Directly paste from clipboard
- Three powerful display modes: Blocks, Fluid and Unified
- Color coding to spot added, deleted, and changed text
- Powerful text layout customization
- Reader view that helps focus on content
- Built-in search
- Review code changes and resolve conflicts
- Edit text inline
- Intelligently auto-merge the right content
Powerful Image Comparison
- Supports any file that can be imported as bitmap
- Directly paste from clipboard
- Compare images in four different modes: Two-Up, One-Up, Split and Difference
- Spot subtle pixel differences with a high contrast “difference mask”
- Navigate large images using pan & zoom tools
- Ultra-fast algorithm for finding differences in large folders
- Sort and filter down to what is most important
- Powerful ignore patterns to exclude extraneous files and folders
- Drill deeper into folders for more detailed comparisons
- Copy your preferred files across sources
- Well-designed overview of all files changed in a changeset
- Find a file by filtering by name or by kind of change
- Inspect changes in text and image files using all of Kaleidoscope’s compare tools
Easy Workflow Integration
- Git, Mercurial, Subversion, Bazaar, and Perforce support
- Works as a fully functional diff or merge tool
- ksdiff tool unleashes the power of the unix command-line
- Supported by a growing list of GUI source control management apps
- Integrate with the Xcode debugger (lldb) for text and graphics
- Integrates with tools like Alfred for even faster workflows
- Normalize JSON. By default, Kaleidoscope 3.5 will normalize JSON files when opening them. This enables humans to actually compare the content, and provides major speed improvements when comparing large files. Normalization can still be turned off using a new button in the bottom toolbar.
- Compare Archives via Compare Folders Shortcut action. The folder comparison has a new use case, thanks to integration with Shortcuts (available on macOS Monterey and later). You can now send any file list in Shortcuts to Kaleidoscope to compare that list as a folder. On our blog, we describe how to use that to compare popular archive formats like .zip or .jar.
- Integrate with iTerm. Many of our users prefer iTerm over Terminal, and so do we. Using a new preference setting, you can now choose to have Kaleidoscope open paths in iTerm instead of Terminal.
- New preference setting for the File Shelf view. Some users prefer that the File Shelf is always visible. Others prefer that it not be visible. Now you can choose the default that works best for you.
- Overhauled Preferences organization
- Better keyboard navigation for folder comparisons
- When opening a comparison or merge via ksdiff, the Welcome window will no longer be shown.
- New windows are no longer stacked when an existing window is (almost) covering the whole screen.
- The Compare Files and Compare Text Shortcut actions allow you to optionally set a document title.
- Initial improvements for compatibility with future versions of macOS.
- The Reveal in Finder context menu entry in a folder comparison will now select all selected items in Finder.
- Fixed a rare situation in which the merge button in the bottom toolbar would be erratically disabled.
- Opening read-only files now works in the App Store version.
- Trying to add the same file to a document twice no longer results in unexpected outcomes.
- Fixed a resize issue with the search field in Find.
- When copying text from Word and pasting it in Kaleidoscope, no longer results in an image comparison.
- Opening Word .docx documents through the Compare Files Shortcut action now works as intended.
- Fixed a rare issue where the app could get stuck.
- Fixed various rare crashes.
- Title: Kaleidoscope 3.5
- Developer: Black Pixel
- Compatibility: macOS 11.1 or later
- Language: English
- Includes: K’ed by TNT
- Size: 32.82 MB